Tuesday sparked a whole new week of workouts which I often look forward to, except this time there was a lot to remember. I looked at the C25K printout while in route to TC. I read it, re-read it, and re-read it again. Thinking to myself, 'how the hell am I going to remember all of these intervals, sing to the music, herd my dog, watch out for the python that is allegedly scampering about the TC area (yes, I beleive that pythons scamper), tug my shorts out of my crotch, and daydream of smoking & drinking.' I clearly had a lot on my plate here, so I did the only logical thing I could do. I wrote the interval times on my watch hand. Genius!
I set out on the warm-up trek, it was a little muddy due to the rain from the night before. My immediate thought about the muddy conditions was 'ugh, this mud is going to cake on the bottom of my feet and make it harder to run. This is just what I needed, I may as well be running in quick sand.' Nevertheless, I picked up the pace. I'm not going to lie, severl times I envisioned my own death during the first 12 minutes of the workout and I was ok with each scenerio, because if I was dead I was no longer running. Running is hard. At this point the interval cheat sheet that I had written on my hand had become a sweaty ink swirl that refused to be decoded. Unfortunately, I knew what the last two times were because I had been dreading them from the start. I had just glanced at my watch 17:34 - almost done, just keep moving. Then it happened....CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP. I quickly scanned the area because I was certain that somebody had shot me. Just below the calf and right above the heel. OOOUUUCCHHH!!! Are you kidding me 2.5 minutes from finishing and a cramp??? I decided to not be a nani and started to jog...CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP...I slowed back to a walk, with what was posibally an over-exaggerated limp for about 10 feet...and I again decided to stop being a nani and started to job...CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP CRAMP....I could feel all of my tendons balling up, I was 97.6318% sure that I had snapped my achilles in a million pieces. Defeated, I walked to the car and left. This is the first workout that I was unable to complete. As the day progressed the cramp decided to hang around, take your leg cramp to work day it became. I recalled in the evening that booze is usually good for that sort of thing. So, I drank...a lot. My leg cramp is still here today. If it sticks around much longer I'm going to name it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shit like that always happens when running. It's like the time I was about 100 meters from finishing my run, and then the sidewalk tripped me. Remember how my hands and knees were all scraped up? Good time. Keep up the good work friend!
ReplyDelete